"THE ALTAS FILES" (The Story of How It Made Me Shake With Rage)

9:11:00 AM


I learned about "The Altas Files" from my blockmates. It's a page where students from my university post complaints, confessions, declarations of love, etc. (You get the point.) I didn't know about it until some of my friends started talking about it endlessly. I was curious. I started reading the posts.

Some were cute posts about their crushes, but most of the posts are infuriating. Most of the students are bashing each other's program/courses. But one thing that caught my attention was the constant "slut-shaming" and misogyny. At first, I just rolled my eyes and said, "No, Camille. Control yourself." But I felt so bad about all these women being constantly bashed just because they wear make-up not only by men, but also by women. Seriously? I'm not mad because I wear make-up. (I just put on powder and lip tint.) I'm mad because I'm a girl/woman.

Why do you think women wear make-up? For men? For other people? Of course not. Women wear make-up to gain confidence. Women wear make-up to make themselves feel better about themselves. AND THEN YOU GO POST IN THIS GROUP IN FACEBOOK THAT THEY LOOK LIKE SLUTS. Do you get what I'm saying here? These women took time and effort to express themselves. To make themselves beautiful. They go out of their homes in the morning, thinking, "I look so beautiful today." Then you go tell them that they're sluts. Isn't that fucking sad? It's even fucking sadder if you're a woman yourself and you didn't even realize this.

I know all of us are entitled to our opinions; but Freedom of Speech isn't a valid excuse to be an asshole.

MEN: If there's one thing you should understand, it's that women doesn't just live in this world to please men. We don't make ourselves beautiful, work-out in the gym, wear pretty dresses for you. We do it for ourselves. We're not here to live up to your expectations.

WOMEN: If you don't like wearing make-up, DON'T MAKE PEOPLE WHO WEAR IT FEEL BAD. Not because you don't like something, doesn't mean you can implement a rule that nobody should wear it. Not because you don't like something, doesn't mean that someone who likes it is wrong.

Calling women "sluts" is wrong.


(Blog post brought to you by my rage and insomnia.)

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. AGREE. Very well said. We are worth for the respect not for others but for ourselves. God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images